July 28, 2008

Dinner with Cookie Monster

I have a great group of mom friends who have coined the term "new normal." This is the period of time where you make all the adjustments that come with adding a new child to your family. Obviously, I'm now home full time with my two children and I'm definitely figuring out our new normal. To be sure, things have gone better than I could have hoped for. However, that doesn't mean that there are some challenges in figuring out our "new normal." I firmly believe that during this transition, we must celebrate our victories because they are hard won. By small victories, I mean things like getting everyone fed, bathed and dressed that day before 10:30 a.m. It could also mean occupying baby while you get the dishwasher unloaded. I'm personally striving for calm, occupied children *while* I get a dinner prepared. These may sound like small feats, but ask any new mom and she'll let you how significant these things are.

So, I now must share some of my recent victories. Despite being told by the occupational therapist from the International Adoption Clinic that walkers, exersaucers and jumpers were bad (apparently they promote toe walking), the Johny-Jump Up door jumper is my best friend. Every morning after both children are bathed and dressed, I need about 15 minutes to finish throwing myself together. Good old Johny Jump-Up never lets me down and for some reason, it entertains both my kids. Andrew will laugh his head off while Lily sings her heart out to him. While I don't want Andrew to be a toe walker and I'm sure I'll feel guilt if he becomes one, I have to admit it makes my day to go out in the community somewhat put together. Here's a picture of our jump-up fans.




One thing I was really missing in our new normal, was the ability to eat my dinner without bouncing a baby on my lap or shoulder. Well, the nutritionist from the International Adoption clinic was really concerned about Andrew's size. I wasn't as concerned, but I listened to her advice to introduce cereal, baby foods and some solids quickly. Frankly, I'm not sure how you could look at either my husband or myself and be concerned that our children won't be well fed :) Anyway, I've learned that Andrew will sit at the table with us and happily "eat" a gerber cookie or a graham cracker for 20 minutes. It's one part cute and one part gnarly to see what he does to a cookie. Yet, I still consider it a victory to have us all sitting together and being able to talk to Bill and Lily at dinner. So, I do celebrate these small steps and I imagine I'll be having dinner with the "Cookie Monster" for quite some time. Honestly, he's pretty stinking cute and after about 5 minutes with a warm wash cloth



So to all my mom friends who read this blog, be sure to celebrate your victories too!

Take care,
Melissa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing your blog, pictures & video. Lilly and Andrew look so happy to be with Mom & Dad. Congratulations!