Usually I post the happy, daily events in our family life. Today, I feel the need to post about something not so happy. Today was Lily's preschool Halloween parade. It was a fun event and something we all enjoyed. I happened to volunteer for some of the classroom party activities and was hanging out in the hallways with some other moms. A few moms that I knew asked me about Andrew's eye surgery. I was happy to report that his eyes are looking great and I don't think he'll have to have the additional surgery in January. Another woman, whom I don't know, overheard our conversation. She then asked me if the second surgery would make Andrew's eyes look less "chink-y." Yup, she really said it. I was stunned, startled and angry. I think she thought it was funny because she laughed. When she heard my nasty toned response of "I beg your pardon??", she quickly left saying she needed to make a phone call.
All in all, it was just such a startling reminder that my children will encounter racism and I can't protect them from it. I've fielded some rude questions about our family. Usually they are along the lines of "Why didn't you adopt from the US." or "Are they *real* brother and sister?" These, I know how to handle. The comment today really was a first.
October 29, 2008
Things you can't protect your children from......
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Maybe that woman needs *her* eyes checked for being so shortsighted and her brain for being narrowminded .
Oh Melissa, how awful. Your response was perfect. Perhaps this woman will be more sensitive in the future.
"WOW" is about all I can say. I mean where do these people come from that they think it's okay to say something like that???
(gasp) WOW. That absoluetely blows me away.
Post a Comment