July 11, 2008

Finally a Family of Four!

Boy, I kept you all in suspense, didn't I? I really did mean to post yesterday. Unfortunately, it was such an incredibly busy and exhausting day, I didn't have the chance.

We are a united family! At 7:01 a.m. July 11Th, Bill and Andrew crossed through the Delta gates at the Cincinnati Airport. Honestly, I can not come up with one analogy to explain the anticipation we felt as we watched the passengers file past. Many seemed to look at us and with a knowing smile. One gentleman even said to us "He's coming! He's on his way......By the way, your husband is a saint."

Then we saw what we have been waiting for......Bill carrying Andrew! They both looked good and reasonably well rested for traveling almost 22 hours straight. Here are a few photos of the first moments together








Do you ever wonder what would happen if you would take an infant from his foster home, spend 3 busy days in Taipei, fly 11.5 hours to California, have a 3 hour layover, travel 4.5 hours to Ohio and then meet 5 new people at the airport??? Well, you can all believe me when I tell you that it'll result in a 3.5 hour, very understandable, inconsolable meltdown. As we loaded up for the 2 hour drive home, I honestly thought we were in for more of the meltdown. I'm thrilled to tell you it was a much calmer drive home and once home I got the chance to see some different sides of Andrew's personality. Don't get me wrong, we still have had some fussing. However in the calmer moments, I've learned the following:
*he's very curious, alert and observant
*he can eat 8 oz of formula very quickly
*he is small, but he is mighty. When he arches his back or pushes with his legs, I must really work on holding onto him *he rolls over with some serious force.
* Along those lines, we had to run out quickly and get those crib bumper thingies. Never needed them with Lily.
*he's a wiggle worm when being changed. Now I know why they have buckles on changing pads.
*he makes that open "Oooh" mouth face when he's happy and continues to do that for Bill
*he thinks tummy time is the best. He can spend a long time on the floor exploring toys and his environment
*he thinks baths, changing his clothes or getting a new diaper is the worst.
*he's really, really close to crawling. Which means, I'm really,really close to being even more busy. *he finds the pacifier very, very soothing.
*he appears to be a good sleeper. I fear that posting this will some how jinx us. However, I am very pleasantly surprised that we were able to get Andrew to sleep last night at 8:45 p.m--7:00 a.m. with only waking once for a change and a feeding and a tiny bit of effort to get him back to sleep. For a little guy who's been through a million changes including a major time change....that's a huge victory. Please keep good thoughts going that this will continue :)
*he's completely, utterly 100% precious! I can't believe he's our son!

I anticipate that the next few days will be filled with the discovery of getting to know our son, figuring out our new routines as a family of 4 and perhaps the challenges of sleeplessness. No matter what growing pains we may experience as a family, I know it'll all be worth it. Just check out this video of I took a few minutes after getting home.

Doesn't get much better than that, does it?

Take care,
Melissa, Bill, Lilianna and Andrew

14 comments:

Chris said...

absolutely PRECIOUS!!
HUGE HUGS GOING YOUR WAY MISSY
FINALLY-a FAMILY OF 4

Sarah Graves said...

OHHHH Huge happy tears!!!!! What a precious video. He's such a BABY!! What a joy to have him so little. Those sleepy eyes- oh how I love them, the contentment!!

That is one very proud big sister and you must be two very happy parents.

Thanks so much for sharing these special moments!
~Sarah @ CDS

Debberoo said...

Many, many congrats!!!! Plus a huge cheer for Bill the man really is an angel, - def a keeper ;)

Dawn said...

AWWWW sooo sweet!!! HUGE CONGRATS to all of you!!

Joyce said...

Congratulations!!!!!!!
Your journey to Andrew is complete.
Enjoy the moments getting to know that precious little guy. Dear Hubby deserves the gold for sure...Don't think my dh could handle all of that... He He....
So happy for your family of 4 now...Can't wait to follow the new journey at home.
Joyce

Shirley said...

Melissa,

What wonderful pictures and video! Congratulatons - I am so happy for all of you.

Tracy Peed said...

Melissa-
This video brought tears to my eyes. So seriously sweet. He is beyond adorable. Looking forward to seeing many beautiful LOs with him and Lilliana. Congrats to you and your family.

CDS Mommy,

Tracy

Sarah said...

Oh Melissa, my eyes are filled with happy tears for your family! :)

Shana said...

Congratulations on being a family of 4!! Andrew is soooo beautiful and the video of he and Lily is precious, she is sooo proud and sweet with him. AHHH, what a joy to see you all together, finally!
-Shana

Sheri said...

Breathing a HUGE sigh of relief here that Andrew is finally home with his family.

REJOICE!!!

:)

KB said...

Hey Melissa...Kristy here...good friends with Sarah W. Just wanted to say congratulations and our little guy "Andrew" too is at SLC.

Such beautiful kiddos you have!

Kristy

Jenny Evoy said...

CONGRATULATIONS! He is home at last... What a beautiful family!

Anonymous said...

Congrats we are so happy for you guys. He is so cute. Lily have fun with your little brother. Jackie Belli and Family

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you and your family. Congrats, He is beautiful! Here's wishing you many happy days!!!! Thank-you so much for sharing these with us.