One year ago, Bill and I were told that our adoption from Taiwan was an *if*, not a *when.* We went through the holiday season feeling like it was a 50/50 chance of being able to adopt from Taiwan. We also knew that if we didn't get to adopt from Taiwan, there weren't really any other options for us.
Of course you all know that on January 18th of this year our lives changed and Andrew was referred to us. Who doesn't love a happy ending? Yet, I can't help but realize how many friends I have in the adoption community who are struggling to realize their dreams. You may or may not know that the Chinese adoption journey has radically changed since we adopted Lilianna. It used to flucuate between 6-15 months to get a referral once your dossier was sent to China. Sadly now the wait stretches well beyond 2 years and no one knows how long it will get. These poor waiting families are in some marathon race and they keep pushing back the finish line. Vietnam, which had reopened in 06 has shut down again. Many families have invested all their time, money and efforts and will never be able to adopt from Vietnam. Several of them don't have other options either. Taiwan is swamped with applicants and wait times are stretching out for them as well. What used to take 6 months, now is 3 years or more. Again, many families can't afford to renew their paperwork continuously.
It's all such a heartbreak. I've said that all children are worth all the effort it takes to adopt them. That said, it just shouldn't be this hard for families. I know so many fabulous, wonderful, amazing families who will make amazing parents and give wonderful homes to children. Yet they sit their and wait and wait and wait or worse yet.....doors close permanently for them.
It all makes me feel so lucky to have the two children I have. It's like winning the lottery twice. If there's any silver lining in all of the challenges facing adoptive parents today is that you never forget how lucky and blessed you are. Today in the midst of taking care of a sick Lily and running after a very mobile and into everything Andrew, I *still* realize how blessed I am to be the mother of two, amazing, lovable, incredible children.
Does it get any better than this?
November 21, 2008
What a difference a year makes............
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Okay, the changing slowglobe graphic has to me my favorite thing I've ever see you make. YOU are SO CREATIVE!!!
Post a Comment